Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Where my talent ends


gingerbread tree, originally uploaded by BeckyKay Designs.

I'm a crafty person. I make stuff. I come from a long line of crafters - quilters, seamstresses, tinkerers. When I was little, my mom used to decorate cakes. People paid her to make birthday cakes and wedding cakes.

Let me just say that I did not inherit the cake decorating gene. I am no good with frosting. Sunday afternoon, my mom, grandma, sister, sister-in-law and I all gathered around Mom's dining room table to make gingerbread houses and gingerbread trees. Mom bought the kits, and we were all set.

This is the third or fourth year we've done this. I've tried to do the houses. They look more like gingerbread shacks. So, I thought, "How hard can a tree be?" Silly girl.

Yes, that picture you see up above is supposed to be a Christmas tree. It kind of looks like a Christmas tree that got stuck in a Kansas windstorm and then had buckets of frosting dumped on top.

Ah, well, Lil Kay is happy with it, although I had to convince him that making a tree was way more fun than making a house. My sister said, "I thought your tree looked pretty good. Until I saw Heidi's!" (my sister-in-law) Yeah, thanks, Sis!

5 comments:

goodkarma said...

whatevs, woman.
that's a fine-lookin' tree. i would totally lick the icing off of that.

word.

Sarah said...

It bears tree resemblance :)

Anonymous said...

Your tree is beautiful and you do fine work with frosting! You should be very proud of you efforts. Keep the tradition going.

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious :o)
You certainly are an artist!
Enjoy the weekend!
xox,
Linnea

Stela said...

OMG, I think that tree is AWESOME!! It looks exactly like a tree and it looks super yummy!!!