Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Twilight

I know the movie has been out for several weeks already, but I've been meaning to write this blog entry for a while. Mr. Kay and I went and saw it on opening weekend. As we were standing in line waiting to go into the theater, I told him, "Hey! I think you're the only guy in this line!" That wasn't exactly true. There were other men, but not many.



Having read all four books and totally loving them, I was prepared to be very disappointed in the movie. There is just no way that an hour and a half movie can even begin to develop the characters and emotional attachment that a book can. (Yes, I'm an English major and avid book reader, so I might be biased, but you know I'm right about this!) I'm pretty realistic when it comes to movie adaptations of books. I understand that they can't fit everything in, but there are some movie/book things that you want just right. When the first cast photos started to come out (months ago!) I was even more nervous. I was not thrilled with the way Edward looked.



However, once the movie started, I was totally hooked. Didn't look at my watch even once! Amazing, since I'm not really a huge movie goer. Without a doubt, there were some parts that made me groan, because "that's not how it happened in the book", but overall, it wasn't too bad. I really missed the character development of the other Cullens. Hopefully, that will play out more in the future moveies. And, let me tell you, there are some lines that read in your head much better than they sound out loud!



The casting, actually, was just about perfect! Robert Pattinson as Edward is definitely sexy, although sometimes he was wearing a bit too much lipstick and his hair was bigger than his head. Bella is dead-on. Couldn't have been any better. I adored Carlisle. I really wondered how his character would play on the big screen. This is a guy who is hundreds of years old, but looks like he's in his 20s, and he's a doctor! He was perfect. The bad guy vampires were awesome! Totally menacing and scary and sexy. The only character I had a problem with was Jasper, and it wasn't so much the actor as it was the fact that he walked around all the time with a weird Edward Scissorhands look on his face.



So, that's my take on the movie. I really liked it and will definitely be in line to see the next installment next November.



For months, I've been eyeballing all the very cool Twilight inspired items that have been popping up on Etsy. The quote bracelets from JackandElla are one of my most favorites, but I don't know how I'd even begin to choose a favorite quote! The book covers from this series have become so iconic, and love the way Eastweststudios has incorporated them into scrabble tile pendants! Simplybitten has lots of cool quote type items including window decals. And, I am very enamored with these resin "Be Safe" pendants from bethtastic! They're nice and subtle and so pretty!

So, if you haven't yet, read the books, go see the movie and buy cool Twilight stuff on Etsy!

1 comment:

MLRE8 said...

I totally agree with you about the movie and thanks for pointing out all the cool Twilight stuff on Etsy!