Monday, July 28, 2008

Call me silly, but...

Lil' Kay will be going to kindergarten in a couple of weeks, and it's killing me! I work full-time outside the home, so he goes to daycare every day. I really thought that this fact would immunize me against the weepy "oh my baby is going to kindergarten" sydrome, but I was wrong. Turns out, it isn't about missing your little one when they no longer spend the day with you, it's all about them growing up. Going to school is such a huge milestone! I keep saying that it's just a downhill slide to high school graduation after this.

Friday is the day that I will go and enroll him. I'm not looking forward to it. In fact, I'm totally scared! The first day of school is sneaking up on me, and I feel totally unprepared! He's going to be riding a bus! What if he doesn't get on the bus? What if there are mean kids? What if he's the mean kid? What if he doesn't make friends? What if he can't sit still? What if he won't follow directions? Seriously. I'm going crazy! I should be a total quivering mass of nerves by the time the first week of school has come and gone.

3 comments:

maggitootis said...

I had the same concerns this past year with J-dog. He started 6 weeks late here in hillbillieton and had to ride a bus and all that. It was scary for my cuz he had to go on the hwy. He made friends right away. My #2 guy is starting preschool in a couple weeks and I can't believe that! Lil Kay will be just fine. He's probably just as nervous as you.

Gladys Strickland said...

You are not silly - you are just being a mom! And it hate to tell you, but it does not get easier. My son starts 7th grade this year - he is halfway to high school graduation - OMG!!! My sister is sending her oldest off to college in a few weeks, and she is having a hard time with it.

Just remember - you will live through this! Good luck!!

Sarah J. said...

Hope the enrollment went well :)