Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Antiques Roadshow

So, I've been MIA for a while now! Just busy, busy, busy! Busy at my day job, busy getting ready for vacation, busy going on vacation, and I've even been doing some sewing!

This past Saturday, Mr. Kay and I got to attend the Antiques Roadshow in Wichita, KS. This is something I have wanted to do for a really long time, so I was very excited. My stomach was getting all butterfly-y, and Mr. Kay was laughing at me. It was a neat experience. Let me just say that if you are not an Antiques Roadshow fan, you probably won't have fun, unless you have a really stellar item. Basically, it was standing in line for hours! But, I had a great time. I got to gawk at other people's treasures, see some of the Roadshow celebrities up close, be on the set, talk to other people. It was fun! We got to watch people have their segments taped and have a few of our items appraised.

So, what did we take? I took a tiny wooden bowl that was brought over from the old country by my great grandmother when she was four years old in 1874. They took a train from somewhere in Southern Russia to Hamburg Germany. Somewhere along that trip, her parents bought her this little bowl to take with her on the trip as a toy. It was worth about $60-80.

I also brought along a pair of kissing bobblehead dolls that my mom had when she was a little girl. They were a cowboy and cowgirl. The appraiser seemed pleased that we had the pair instead of just one or the other. He called them "nodders" and said they were worth $50-75 for the pair.

Mr. Kay took along a World War II helmet that he bought on ebay for $15. The appraiser was stumped. He said the liner was authentic, but couldn't place the helmet itself. Value - about $100.

He also took along a little motorcycle policeman lead toy. Worth about $20.

So, nothing to base our retirement on, and you won't be seeing us on T.V. next year, but it is a definitely an experience that I'm glad I had. I was surprised at how small the set actually is! Wish I had pictures for you! I forgot the camera, and you're not allowed to take pictures on the set anyway.

4 comments:

Hafeeza said...

I watch that show sometimes,how nice that you got to go !!

Rosebud Collection said...

I enjoy that show so much..Sorry your things didn't break the bank..I have seen some thing go for a fortune and still don't understand why..Like you said, it was a fun experience..

Michelle Quinno said...

That's so cool! I do like that show. Sorry you can't retire yet! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got the experience the show first hand. I do love to watch it. It's so interesting when they give the history behind the item.