Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mother Lode

This past week was Spring Break for my son. The chances of us being able to afford a vacation this summer are pretty slim, so Roger and I decided to take the week off and just enjoy the time off. I thoroughly enjoyed it - vintage-style.

There was an estate sale advertised in the medium sized town where I work. We don't have a lot of estate sales there, so I definitely wanted to check it out. I am so glad I did! I've never had this kind of reaction at an estate sale. I walked in, and it was like a time capsule. I'm not sure these people had bought anything new since 1977. And the prices were wonderful!

I think I may have been pretty near hyperventilating as I went through the first apartment. (Yes, there were TWO of these time capsules!) And, then when I went to pay, I realized that I only had ONE check blank and not nearly as much cash in my wallet as I thought. I had to hold myself back in the second apartment, but I was already scheming in my brain to come back.



These two photos are of my complete haul.


I only read about Le Creuset on other people's blogs. I never see it. I saw it on Wednesday. And I saw it in abundance! I grabbed these three pieces on my first trip through. I had decided to get more when I came back, but they were already gone. The orange piece is actually a Cousances piece. From what I've read, I believe the Cousances company was bought by Le Creuset back in the 1950s.


Beautiful pieces of enamelware! I love this bright sunny yellow color. And those enamelware refrigerator boxes stole my heart. I should have bought some of the larger ones, too.


A couple metal boxes with their keys securely attached.


This tray is HUGE! I had one very similar to it last year with a rooster on it. This one is all about coffee!


I don't usually buy vintage purses. Mostly, because I know nothing about them, but this one was red and quite clean. I figured it was worth the chance.


Another thing I only read about and never find is anything Vera. Well, what do you know? Vera scarves! The middle one is silk. The scarf on the left is Pierre Cardin, and I couldn't resist the bright lime green color!


The previous owner was a science professor, I believe. Lots of science related stuff!


Not my usual Pyrex finds, but I wasn't complaining!


Even the glass stopper on this bottle is clearly labeled Pyrex!


I had to ask and was told that this little jar was used for dying microscope slides. Makes sense! The little ridges on opposite sides would have perfectly held slides, and the glass lid is still tinted pink.



And, oh my word! Vera china!! Twenty-eight pieces, but two of them were damaged. These were in the second apartment where I didn't have any more cash. I was so thankful they were still there when I came back!

All in all, a pretty worthwhile morning, in my opinion! And I spent about half of what Roger spent at his auction on Saturday. A very good day for me.

Follow me over to Sophie's for more vintage finds!

11 comments:

Helen and her Daughters said...

Oh my goodness, what great finds! I love the old science bottles. The Vera china is to die for!

Yvette Adams said...

Wow - what awesome glass bottles and things!

MessyMerci said...

I absolutely love everything you found. The metal boxes with keys are so fun- love the colors they came in. Those were two really great estate sales!

Michelle said...

I am soooo jealous! I have never seen such bright enamel and I love the metal boxes (with keys even). I am amazed the Vera china was still there when you went back. Well done

Meg said...

oooooo....I LOVE science stuff!

Jackie Kirner said...

Metal toolboxes harken back to my days in manufacturing - everyone got their own on their workbenches. (usually decorated inside with photos of their family as an impromptu gallery while they worked)

LOVE the Vera china - very drool worthy!

Jill said...

Vera china - what a find!! That is sooo nice!!!!

Charlotte said...

GORGEOUS finds! You certainly did hit the mother lode! Good on you!

Anonymous said...

I am drooling over your finds, especially the red purse!!!

Jodi Wiley said...

Wow! Some great finds. I love the bright yellow enamelware and the Vera china...swoon!

rachel @ idlepines said...

What gorgeous finds: particularly loving the Vera china!