Monday, August 8, 2011

Prized Object

Quite often at an auction, I will come across one particular item that just seizes my attention and won't let go. I was able to preview the last auction we attended the day before it actually occurred and came across this interesting milk glass plate. It was lumped in with a bunch of other handpainted plates. Upon close inspection of it, my imagination was sparked, and I couldn't stop thinking about it! I must have it!

At the auction the next day, I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find the box holding my precious treasure. I was afraid that it had been pulled to be sold alone, and I had missed it! After a bit further searching, though, I located the box and breathed a sigh of relief. I was eventually able to buy my box of plates and take them home. Now, I don't collect plates or milk glass, so I am putting this in our Etsy shop, but sometimes there are items that won't hurt my feelings if they decide to live with me indefinitely...

The plate depicts three gentleman in old-fashioned attire. One of the men is a bear and the other two are wolves! They appear to be enjoying an evening of storytelling, as the wolf in the middle has a large book open in front of him. It's almost like a depiction of a fairy tale or perhaps, this is what it looks like when the characters from our stories share their own tales!


See more vintage finds at Her Library Adventures.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Great plate! You wonder with two wolves and a bear, who will be dinner!
Try Chrome. I couldn't comment on any blogs for quite a while. I was even having trouble loading some blogs to read. Then I lost all of my reading list. Now that I have moved to Chrome everything is fine. Cheers Nick

lost property vintage said...

What a funny little plate!